The place was ruled by an Indo-Scythian tribal community of Sinsinwar clan, who came to India in 100 AD. Gohad city was built in 1505 AD and developed as a famous Jat state which was later ruled by the Marathas. In 1733 AD, Maharaja Suraj Mal built the city of Bharatpur. It is believed that it was a well-fortified city under his rule. Bharatpur was carved out from Mewat and got its name from Lord Bharat (Lord Rama’s brother).
Ranas of Gohad and the British signed a treaty and British helped the Jats to restore their rule from the Marathas in 1804 AD. In 1805, British signed a treaty with Marathas and the region came under the Maratha rule again.